25+ Things You Can Do Right Now To Get More People To See Your Art – when the thought of talking to people terrifies you
I’m always thinking of ways to get more people to see my art. Sometimes selling art is just a numbers game, the more people that see what you do the more likely it is that someone will buy something. So I’ve been thinking of ways I can get my art noticed.
Lets not go into “It’s got to be good art” because then you get into “what is good art?” and “people love crap art too” arguments. There’s a market for all kinds of art out there and I’m not qualified to tell anyone that the reason they’re not selling is because their art isn’t good. All I can do is suggest ways I have started using to get seen by more people.
A couple of months ago I was reading about a woman who made $50,000ish in a year selling her original art. But here’s the catch, she did it by mainly face to face negotiations. Selling to shops, and people one by one. Now I’m not the average person but the thought of going into a shop and saying “hey do you like my work? Wanna hang it on your shop walls?” fills me with utter utter dread.
Nah huh! No way am I doing that. Or even a phone call. Sometimes I can manage an email but really, cold/warm calling turns me into an anxieous mess.
But I want more people to see my art, I want people to see it and buy it and tell their friends about it. I really want to get my art noticed by potential buyers. So how do I get it out there, for more people to see, without the trauma of talking to people face to face?*
*I know I’m a loser who can’t talk to people. But that’s just how I am and I’ve accepted that. And I’m thinking surely I can’t be the only person who feels like that, so if you feel this way too. This post is for you!
25 + Things You Can Do Right Now To Get More People To See Your Art
- Apply for an art show
- Enter an art competition
- Get a website
- Start a mailing list
- Send out an email
- Optimise your online images
- Set up an online art portfolio where you can sell your art
- Put up new art online that is for sale
- Start a blog
- Write a blog post
- Write a blog post for someone else
- Create a Facebook page
- Put a photo on Facebook
- Put a video on Facebook
- Create an Instagram page
- Put a photo one Instagram
- Put a video on Instagram
- Try out new hashtags on Instagram
- Post your images into Pinterest
- Email and art gallery you’d like to exhibit in
- Visit an art exhibition at an art gallery you’d like to exhibit in and see whats going on
- Follow art galleries on social media you’d like to work with
- Email an art influencer and show them your work
- Join an online art community
- Repost something old on social media
- Engage with people on social media